Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Darren Aronofsky

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Kristofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2001
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You'll notice he is doing BATMAN: YEAR ONE, and not the classic Batman. BATMAN: YEAR ONE is a comic by Frank Miller, the man resonsible for SIN CITY, so I doubt that movie will be like other Batman movies. Also, skinhead, a person's favorite movies are their personal opinion.

    ------------------
    "Personal Note: When I was a little kid, my mother told me not to stare at the sun; so once when I was six, I did."
    -Maxamillian Cohen in Pi

  2. #12
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi,

    I remember when Pi came out and there was
    a review in empire which talked about pi -

    'unquestionably the best czechoslovakian
    maths based thriller this year'

    or something like that, made me laugh..

    so I watched it, and I have to agree no
    other czechoslovakian maths based thiller
    I watched that year came close to Pi.


    andy

    ------------------
    andy winton
    (www.wintonfilms.co.uk)

  3. #13
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi,

    I remember when Pi came out and there was
    a review in empire which talked about pi -

    'unquestionably the best czechoslovakian
    maths based thriller this year'

    or something like that, made me laugh..

    so I watched it, and I have to agree no
    other czechoslovakian maths based thiller
    I watched that year came close to Pi.


    andy

    ------------------
    andy winton
    (www.wintonfilms.co.uk)

  4. #14
    Inactive Member zebra222's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2001
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Will someone please tell me why Pi is supposedly a great film? In terms of filmmaking: what are the film's winning elements? Thanks.

    ------------------

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL Winton, my girlfriend when I was trying to convince her to see it asked, "Well, what's it about," and I replied, "Err, it's kind of like a mathmatical thriller."

    She still laughs about it.

    Zebra, you really got to just rent it to see. It's very original and compelling, and the use of very cheap film actually HELPS this movie, IMHO.

    ------------------

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Vlad the Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2001
    Posts
    334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sorry if this is out of date now.......

    but isn't the shot with the background moving called a Trombone Shot - were you track in / zoom out.... it was made by Hitchcock specifically for vertigo me thinks.... and used in jaws and stuff

    sorry if thats wrong or no one really cares about that topic anymore. frown

    ------------------

  7. #17
    Inactive Member thepreacher_naric's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2001
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Guys,

    I have'nt seen the movie but if you want your background to move and the object your focused on to stay still, or visa versa the way to acomplish this is via "green screen". You film the moving object against a green or blue screen. You then can then mask out the green or blue and superimpose the still object against it. That way you have 2 films against each other making one peice of film. You can actually do it with Adobe Premiere.

    ------------------
    The pay-off from struggle is the most sweetest revenge.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can do that, but it's hard to get the guy's walking motions realistic. It's much easier to just mount the camera on his chest like everyone suggested.

    Vlad, they were talking about the kind of shot where the camera is mounted the the actor so he stays in the same position, and as he walks down a street the street moves around him but he stays exactly center.

    ------------------

  9. #19
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Pi is a low budget, 16mm arse kicking film.
    That got general release. Well made with brilliant music.
    You have to watch it to realise why its so raved about, you'll either 'get it' in all its grimey-passionate-low-fi-underground-stylee or you will think its shit.

    And this other shot you are all going on about is the zoom out/dolly in paranoid shot that Hitchcock 'invented' when he made vertigo.



    ------------------

  10. #20
    Inactive Member manwithplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aronofsky used the same technique in Requiem as well. In the 'making of' featurette it showed a big camera mount rig type thing strapped onto the chest of Marlon Wayans.

    Oliver Stone also used it in Any Given Sunday briefly although the camera was slung behind the player looking between his legs.

    ------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •